Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolfie

Please describe in detail how I split charitable donations on a spousal return.

Please describe in detail how I split charitable donations on a joint spousal return. I DO NOT want the total to go on one return.

8 Replies

Is this for all versions of Turbo-Tax?  I am using standard version and unable to locate the split option.
wolfie

I also am using purchased CD Standard version. What they forgot to mention in the instructions below is you must switch to the easy entry mode. This is the original mode where you answer all the questions. Look to the top right menu structure, and click on the "find" mode, and look for charitable donations.  You will then be presented with all the donations you have entered so far. You can edit or delete at this point, but if you want to split, then follow the directions below. Hope this helps.
wolfie

I also am using purchased CD Standard version. What they forgot to mention in the instructions below is you must switch to the easy entry mode. This is the original mode where you answer all the questions. Look to the top right menu structure, and click on the "find" mode, and look for charitable donations. You will then be presented with all the donations you have entered so far. You can edit or delete at this point, but if you want to split, then follow the directions below. Hope this helps.

1. Enter the donations for each spouse.
  2. The optimizer automatically places the total amount of donations on one spouse's return.
  3. To assign a split of the donations, continue in the Donations section until you reach the screen called "Split credit with spouse or common-law partner" (right after the carry forward to 2019 screen).
  4. Choose the amount of donations you'd like to assign to the spouse who currently has zero.
  5. Click Continue to save the choice.

When is TurboTax Download Standard going to allow splitting of charitable donations to optimize tax returns with a spouse in the Forms format without giving up NETFILE capability for one spouse? Right now, I have to override a cell in either the DON form or in Schedule 9 to enter the amount claimed by a spouse. When overriding in the DON form, there is no warning that NETFILE isn't possible but when overriding in Schedule 9, I'm warned that one spouse's return will need to be mailed in.  Easy Step format takes far too long to go all the way through to get to donations splitting and I don't want to waste that time.

Unfortunately, the best way is to go to Easy Steps and in the top right "Find" type in donations- and click on donation optimizer and go- It will bring you straight to it. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Agreed.  TurboTax needs to address this.  It should be relatively simple to develop an algorithm that determines the best distribution of donations between both spouses to provide the maximum advantage for the couple.  This is what an actual "optimizer" would do! To accomplish this, I manually try various amounts until I get the optimum distribution.  Surely the developers could do this in the software without much effort.  This can add up to hundreds of lost taxes for those who trust the current "optimizer" without realizing how short-sighted it is.  A bitter pill to swallow.

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.