Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to claim other employment expenses on Line 229 (repayment of salary/wages). how do I do this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Need to claim other employment expenses on Line 229 (repayment of salary/wages). how do I do this?

Click "Income" then select "Employment Expenses" from the drop down menu and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Click "Income" then select "Employment Expenses" from the drop down menu and follow the prompts.

Hi,

I have the same situation (Bonus Clawback), where I had to payback bonus to my previous employer and I need to report this on line 229. When I follow the prompts there is not a clear place to enter a payment like this. Could it be that the prompts and choices have changed in the 2019 return? or is it because I am in the free version?

Please help!

Thanks 🙂

@BlueMatia

You can enter your repayment of wages or bonus using TurboTax Online from the sidebar by going to:

• Income > Employment Expenses > check the box  "Incurred expenses for the purpose of earning employment income" > Continue.
  • Check the box "Other Employment Expenses" > Continue.

On the Other Employment Expenses screen (in all versions of TurboTax, including Free) is a box in the first section that says "Other Expenses". Make your entry here and it will be deducted on Line 22900 as per CRA rules. 

CRA Information - Line 22900 Other Employment Expenses

Hi @TurboTaxKim ,

Thank you for the info, but now I have follow up questions. 

Since it only says "other expenses", is there anywhere where I can add in a description so I can mention that it is for repayment of wages?

Or

Is there a way to add an attachment to the return (when e-filing), so that I can provide the back up for that line expense?

Thanksagain,

Niki

@BlueMatia, There is no way to submit documents to CRA when you NetFile (or Efile) your tax return. Only if you choose to "paper file" or mail in your tax return are you able to submit any documents. But as a general rule, you will only need to submit these documents if CRA requests that you do so.

You may be asked to submit proof of a deduction or claim if CRA chooses to do a "Pre-Assessment" on your tax return. If this is the case, you will need to submit the documents prior to your tax return being assessed and your refund is issued. Failure to submit the documents will result in your tax return being assessed without the deduction or claim being reviewed.

If you are asked to submit documents "after" your tax return is assessed, this is called a "Post Assessment Review". If you do not submit the documents to the tax centre which has requested them, your claim or deduction will be disallowed, and your tax return will be reassessed

In both cases, it's important that you provide the reference number on the letter you have received from CRA and deal with that particular tax centre. If you have questions or require more time to gather your documents, you should contact them directly at the number provided. 

Here's a link that explains how to submit documents online to CRA: How to submit documents to the CRA.

@TurboTaxKim 

This actually doesn't work since the covid-19 work from home tax deduction has been added to your website. Once I fill this in, the next screen just asks me for % of HST and GST. I cant find anywhere to submit "other expenses" on your website. Can you please look into this and advise me as to where to input my repayment of wages.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi @TurboTaxKim 

I am experiencing the same issue as @akaterz87. I don't see any box to tick to make the 'other expenses field show up. Please advise. 

Thanks, 

Javed

Same issue as the other two posters.  Need to refile as this repayment T4A and letter came late.  Please advise how to navigate negative disability repayment as there is no longer an "other expenses" button.

1$