Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had a breast augmentation revision for capsular contracture and rupture, is this deductible? Initial surgery was in 2004, complications arose I paid $9800 to fix this.

Yayyy thanks so much for your help 👍

Had a breast augmentation revision for capsular contracture and rupture, is this deductible? Initial surgery was in 2004, complications arose I paid $9800 to fix this.

You're very welcome!

Summer1614
Returning Member

Thanks for the thread! I have a similar question: revision needed for breast implants due to bottoming and lateral displacement complications. In addition, my current implants have been recalled by FDA and banned in Canada due to cancer link. If the original implants were strictly for cosmetic purposes, would this revision ($10k) still be eligible for tax deduction? 

You will need to contact CRA to verify if it will be covered under reconstructive surgery- since the implants have been recalled. 

Summer1614
Returning Member

Thank you 

Rencel

Is there not documentation needed from the surgeon regarding the capsular contracture medical claim?

Were the implants taken out and new inserted or taken out all together?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has made this medical deduction in their taxes and their experience.

Thanks so much.