Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conradp1-
Returning Member

How do I edit the seniors economic recovery credit for manitoba?

The credit of $200 is shown and I want to edit this to $0.00 but the program will not let me.
19 Replies
Shiebert82
Returning Member

I’m having a similar issue. It gives me a warning that I selected the manitoba seniors economic  recovery benefit but I don’t see where that is in the easy step process. I found it in the forms but it won’t let me edit it. I’m stumped. I could go ahead and file but I worry that it will delay the assessment

conradp1-
Returning Member

Hi Shiebert82

I contacted Turbo Tax yesterday and was on the phone with them trying to resolve the problem. I had checked the credit for the seniors economic recovery credit of $200 before realizing we had already received a cheque from the province of  Manitoba for this amount. I went to unchecked the credit but the $200 credit remained and I was unable to edit it.

Turbo Tax is working on it. I suspect it is a program glitch and they are going to contact me when they have a fix. They are taking the problem seriously and hope to have it fixed soon.

Shiebert82
Returning Member

That’s good news, I hope they can fix it. For me the box is checked that I am claiming the credit for me as well as for my spouse but the amount says $0. I have been through the whole program step by step twice and I can’t find where it was selected as a credit. When the warning shows at the end I select “applies to me” and that won’t even take me to where it was selected so I can deselect it. 

conradp1-
Returning Member

Hi Shiebert82.

I figured out my problem. I wanted to correct the error of claiming the $200 seniors credit. I tried to negate the  credit shown in the Provincial Tax Credit Profile. I had obviously asked for the credit by mistake but could not find the screen that I completed to claim the amount.

What I did was went back to the "Provincial Tax Credit Profile" screen and checked the first box entitled Manitoba Seniors economic recovery credit. I had previously unchecked this box thinking it would correct my error and negate the $200 entry, but it did not. Then I entered "continue" at the bottom of the screen and it brought me to the page where you are asked if you received an advance payment for the recovery payment in 2020. Answer yes or no. It then asks you if want to claim the credit on your return. Answer yes or no.

I answered it correctly this time and the sum of $200 was removed from the listing of Provincial Tax credits. So I would recommend you undelete the box entitled seniors economic recovery and when you enter continue at the bottom of the page, it will bring you back to the above described page where you can answer yes or no to the two questions. Hopefully that works for you.

Unfortunately in the review stage, it never brings you back to that specific page where you answered the two questions on the economic recovery credit.

conradp1-
Returning Member

HI Shiebert82.

Sorry I replied back to myself by mistake. I found the solution that hopefully works for you. See my most recent response below in the chain under Conradp1%.

Regards

Shiebert82
Returning Member

Unfortunately this didn’t work for me. Neither my spouse or I are over 65. The credit is not listed anywhere under the provincial credits section. I’ve been over it and over it. As I go through the provincial credits that I have selected I can see at the bottom of the page where the forms are shown. If I scroll down through the form it shows that the seniors economic recovery credit box is ticked (box 65 and 66 on form MB479) as claimed for myself and my spouse. I can’t edit it and a screen asking questions for that credit has never shown up before and won’t show up now. It’s not in my list of provincial credits to select. 

I’ll have to contact TurboTax. 

conradp1-
Returning Member

Hi Shiebert82.

I should have mentioned that I am using the 2020 standard "on line" program. It sounds like you are using the standard desktop CD version? When using the online version, one cannot see the data entered on the actual tax foms as you described.

Try finding that seniors economic recovery  tax credit entry page as I described in a recent post. It might be different when using the desktop version.

It can be very frustrating.

b_woo
Returning Member

Yep, I have the same problem. TurboTax just checked the box at some point and then gives me a warning. I switched to the forms method and unchecked it, but TurboTax checked it again. Hopefully Intuit fixes it soon, especially with the delays CRA is warning everybody about. This is the earliest that I've ever had my return ready to file, only to be blocked by a glitch and as somebody else said, submitting taxes like this may cause a problem.

conradp1-
Returning Member

Thanks for your input. I am using the Standard "on line" version so do not have the option of using Forms. I miss this feature not using the desktop CD version this year as I am still running Windows 7.

I was able to correct my problem. Inuit is aware of the glitch and hopefully will find the fix. I too would like to file my taxes ASAP as I believe CRA could be overwhelmed with this years returns dealing with CERB payments etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Conradp1