Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

List of medical expenses ends at 120 but I need more room!

I want to use the 12 month date optimizer and in order to do that I need to list about 30 more expenses.  The program doesn't allow me to enter more than 120.  If they would have told me this at the beginning, I wouldn't have itemized it within the program.  This might turn out to have been a colossal waste of my time.
5 Replies

The best way to do this if you have a lot of medical expenses to claim is to put all prescriptions together, dental, optometrist and so on.  As long as you have all the receipts for each claim.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeh, I figured that.  Thanks.  I've been doing this for a while and thought that Turbo Tax would, based on the itemized list, determine the best start and end dates for the 12 month period.  Turns out all the optimizer does is determine who (me or my partner) is best to make the claim and you have to determine the best 12 month period yourself.  This renders and itemized list useless in terms of the program, but necessary in terms of keeping records.  I just wish it would have said that there was a 120 item limit upfront.  Could have save myself a lot of time.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. 

cvesuwju

SO WHEN I COMBINE MEDICAL RECIEPTS SO I CAN GET UNDER 120 ITEMS DO I COMBINE THINGS BASED ON DATE OR SERVICE?  FOR EXAMPLE CMBINE THE 10 CHIRO APPOINTMENTS AND PICK THE FIRST DATE I HAD ONE OF JUST UT ALL SERVICES FOR MAY 25TH TOGETHER?

You can add all the chiropractor appointments included within your 12 months together then all your dentist expenses together, all your prescriptions together, etc.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.