Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The private insurance premium (Box J Releve 1) as a medical expense is calculated correctly for the Federal return, but is calculated twice in Quebec deduction line 381.

When I include the private insurance premium (Box J of Releve 1) as a medical expense, it is calculated correctly for the Federal return. However, it gets calculated twice in Quebec deduction line 381. When I remove it as an expense, it no longer is included on the federal return, but is now correct on the Quebec.

How do I correct so that the premium is calculated for the federal return, but not counted for twice in the Quebec?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The private insurance premium (Box J Releve 1) as a medical expense is calculated correctly for the Federal return, but is calculated twice in Quebec deduction line 381.

Both amounts are separately calculated in two different sections of your tax return. One is in Provincial and the other is a separate entry from a T4 box 85 for it to calculate on the Federal Return.

Box J of your Releve 1 goes to line 381 of your TP1 – Provincial Tax Return.

You would have to have a T4 box 85 amount which translates to Schedule 1 line 330 of your Federal Return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Both amounts are separately calculated in two different sections of your tax return. One is in Provincial and the other is a separate entry from a T4 box 85 for it to calculate on the Federal Return.

Box J of your Releve 1 goes to line 381 of your TP1 – Provincial Tax Return.

You would have to have a T4 box 85 amount which translates to Schedule 1 line 330 of your Federal Return.

MP73

Hello -

I'm currently working on my 2019 taxes, and I have EXACTLY the same issue as the previous customer. 

Unfortunately the answer provided by TurboTax moderator did not address the issue.

It's clear in the TurboTax software that there is a Federal & Provincial portion, as per the moderator's response. 
However, the issue lies in the fact that the Federal return requires a manual entering of the provincial plans' premiums, which then gets fed into the Provincial return. However, these same provincial plans' premiums are already captured from the Releve 1 in Box J, therefore, double-counting these premiums in the Provincial return. Can a member of the TurboTax team please re-address this question / issue?

Thank you very much. 

jessicas1

I have the same issue as the 2 people above. It seems no one from Turbo Tax has yet to clarify and address this issue. How did you others solve it

I think I got why this is confusing.

T4 box 85 is the employee paid contribution toward a private health plan.

RL-1 box J is the employer paid contribution towards a private health plan. That contribution, is also included as part of the employee income (box A), for the Quebec taxes only.