Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michaeltka
Returning Member

US rental income and taxes paid and Foreign tax credit

I just paid US federal taxes on rental property for 2020.  On my Canadian return I have recorded the rental income as per  turbotax premier into form T776. using my Canadian postal code and province.   How do I report the US taxes paid and claim the foreign tax credit.  Please provide step by step details. 

1 Reply

US rental income and taxes paid and Foreign tax credit

We're more than happy to guide you through the steps. First, The Foreign Federal Tax Credit (FFTC) can be claimed by using the T2209 tax form when you file your return. The amount of the credit depends on whether the income earned abroad is business income or non-business income. The form has separate sections for these two calculations.

Or, if you're using the Online version of TurboTax, please follow the steps:

1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Click on the find icon in the upper-right corner of the page.
  3. Type "Foreign Tax Paid" and select the same option below.
  4. On the page titled "Your payments profile for 2020", select "Paid income tax to a foreign country" and hit "Continue".
  5. Answer "Yes" to the question "If you paid income taxes to a foreign country, you may be able to recover all or a portion of the amount paid. Do you want to determine how much you can recover?". 

6. Here, enter the details for, name of the foreign countryForeign real property income, and Foreign tax paid on real property income. 

Note: Please enter the amount of foreign income on the respective income form or slip as well along with this foreign tax credits form. For example, enter foreign rental income in form T776 as well. 

For more information, read the TurboTax blog on The Federal Foreign Tax Credit.

and T2209 Tax Form: Federal Foreign Tax Credits in Canada

Thank you for using Intuit TurboTax.