Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandrao

Can I claim the full amount of the nursing home as a medical expense and disability tax credit?

My Dad was in a long term care nursing home with Alzheimer's for 6 months before he passed away. He was also approved by CRA for disability tax credit. The nursing home tax receipt identified the total amount we paid and the portion of this amount the was for attendant care expenses.

3 Replies

Can I claim the full amount of the nursing home as a medical expense and disability tax credit?

You can claim either $10,000 in attendant care medical plus the DTC or

All the medical without the DTC whichever works best for you. 

This chart helps to explain what you can claim:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expe...

scott2585
Returning Member

That's absolutely correct. I have determined that in my case, it is better to claim the full medical expense and forego the DTC. Question is, how do I turn off the DTC field in TurboTax (if I answer the questions correctly, the DTC is automatically populated)?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Search for the "Disability Amount" profile using the "Find" icon on the top bar. You need to select "No" to answer the question "Does ... qualify for this Claim"? Because technically if you are claiming more than $10,000 in attending care, you are no longer qualified.

I hope this was helpful