Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlliu

I entered Child care expense (receipt, no T778), whatever amount I input, the refund amount has no change. That means it does not count. Please help! Thanks.

I entered Child care expense (receipt, no T778), whatever amount I input, the refund amount has no change. That means it does not count. Please help! Thanks.

2 Replies

You may be in a no-tax-owing situation which means entering additional deductions/credits will not increase your refund. With a few exceptions, your refund is limited to the amount of income tax you've paid in throughout the year.

If the childcare deduction is appearing on line 214 of the Detailed Tax Summary, the expense is being recorded properly. If line 214 reads zero, refer to the FAQ below.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647991

hieuluu

I have the same situation. Both I and my wife are not no tax owing situation. What ever I have inputted to child care receipt, the deduction summary does not show anything, always be zero for "Child support Deductions" line for both me and my wife. I have checked also dependent profile, date of birth of my daughter is correct (she is under 16), relationship has been selected as "daughter", live with tax payer has been answered as yes. There is no option to input date of receipts. Last year, I used turbo tax standard. It worked well. Comparing to the same line "Child support Deductions" in last year, it showed the amount which I paid for day care fee. This year, I use Turbo tax Premier, but it shows "zero". Please help. Thanks