Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal & Provincial Tax credit

hi, I am a new immigrant and landed in Canada in June 2017. 

1. Am I eligible for full basic personal amount of $11635 (on schedule 1) as well as ontario provincial personal amount $10141, or these amounts would be pro-rated based on number of days I lived in Canada?

2. Is there any way I can use these full amounts?

Thanks

13 Replies

It depends on what your worldwide income was for the period of 2017 when you were not a resident of Canada.  If at least 90% of your worldwide income consisted of Canadian source income, then you are not required to prorate.  If, however, you do not meet this threshold, then you are required to prorate the personal credits.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving...

For the part of the year that you were not a resident of Canada, you can claim the above tax credit for eligible supplies expenses paid in 2017 that relate to the period of non residency if:

1. the Canadian-source income you are reporting for the part of the year that you were not a resident of Canada represents 90% or more of your net world income for that part of the year; or - I do not have any Canadian sourced income when I was not a resident

2. you had no income from sources inside and outside Canada for that part of the year. - what does this exactly mean? this income must be from a Canadian source? only income i had is from my employment in home country and this was no where related to a Canadian source.

Yes, in order to qualify for the full amount of personal credits, you must have at least 90% Canadian source income.  If you have no Canadian source income, then you do not qualify.

And yes, this is related to the portion of the year you were not a Canadian resident.

If you immigrated from the US, for instance, on May 15, 2017...and had $30,000 of US income up til May 15, and no other income...then you have zero Canadian income, and your personal credits will be prorated.

If you had $1,000 of US income, and $9,000 of Canadian source income (you could have been being paid from a Canadian employer, for instance) then your total worldwide income is $10,000 and 90% of it was Canadian source...and your personal credits are not subject to being prorated.

let me give you an example and then you can help me here:

Place: Srilanka
Time: Jan 2017 - May 2017
Income from a job in Sri Lanka company: CAD 7000

Place: Canada
Time: June 2017 - Dec 2017
Income from job in a Canadian company: CAD 31000

Please tell how much credit amount i can use, or do I need to prorate?

Seeing as your Canadian source income for the period Jan 2017 to May 2017 was zero, then you have to prorate your personal credits.

ok. thank you so much