Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merewynh

If your child's daycare is also a charitable organization, can you claim the amount paid as both childcare expenses and as a charitable donation or choose either/or?

The daycare I use is also a registered charitable organization and I notice on the tax receipts they sent me for 2018, that they have included all their charitable organization information. This confuses me - does this mean I could claim the $$ I spent on my child's childcare as both childcare expenses AND charitable donations? Or choose one or the other? Or is this irrelevant to me and they just include that on the forms because they have to and I can only claim the usual childcare expenses? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your child's daycare is also a charitable organization, can you claim the amount paid as both childcare expenses and as a charitable donation or choose either/or?

Since you received a service for the fees, the appropriate choice is to enter the amounts as childcare deductions only.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since you received a service for the fees, the appropriate choice is to enter the amounts as childcare deductions only.