Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way that I can claim a deduction for money I invested into my incorporated startup?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there a way that I can claim a deduction for money I invested into my incorporated startup?

No, you can't make a claim for that equity you provided the corporation.  If, in the future, you dissolve the corporation, and there is still an amount due to you (Due to Shareholder) then you could make a claim on your personal tax return, but for now, no.  However, if later on, there is enough money in the corporation that you could withdraw the money you put in, then you can do so without including it as income on your personal return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you can't make a claim for that equity you provided the corporation.  If, in the future, you dissolve the corporation, and there is still an amount due to you (Due to Shareholder) then you could make a claim on your personal tax return, but for now, no.  However, if later on, there is enough money in the corporation that you could withdraw the money you put in, then you can do so without including it as income on your personal return.

Thank you!