Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milo8
Returning Member

The Canada Caregiver Amount, my husband and I both have DTC. Can I claim him on my taxes and he claim me on his? 2022 we didn't claim 30425, can I amend both of ours?

My DTC was approved this year for 2013-2029 and my Husbands is roughly the same. 2023, he claimed me - I didn't claim him. 2022 neither of us claimed eachother. Are we allowed to claim eachother and how far back could I go to amend our taxes?
When they did my re-assessment after approving my DTC they didn't include the Canada Caregiver Amount.
4 Replies

The Canada Caregiver Amount, my husband and I both have DTC. Can I claim him on my taxes and he claim me on his? 2022 we didn't claim 30425, can I amend both of ours?

As per the CRA: If you are eligible for the disability tax credit, the Canada Revenue Agency allows you to transfer unused tax credits to your spouse or common-law partner. Before doing this, you first need to claim the necessary amount to reduce your own taxable income to zero. Your spouse can then claim any left-over amount on line 316 of his/her tax return, provided you were living together during the tax year.  When applying for the DTC on the form, there is a place to put a check mark if you'd like the CRA to automatically go back and assess your returns and provide you with a reassessment so that you know if you are owed any monies, and if yes, they will send you a new Notice of Assessment with the numbers. 

For more information please contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Milo8
Returning Member

That didn't really answer my question tho. Are we allowed to claim eachother? We are a family of 4 and all of us have the DTC so i'm wondering if both parents can claim eachother? And when the CRA does the retroactive they don't include the caregiver amount when they are recalculating or they didn't in both of ours

No, you can't claim each other; only one spouse can claim the other if the other spouse doesn't need to claim the DTC for their own taxes. 

Yes, the CCC is usually included; however, you may not have noticed a difference depending on your net income. 

Milo8
Returning Member

The $2,499 for spouse is only dependant on net income then correct? If my net income is more than $26,782 then my husband can't the claim canada caregiver amount for myself for that year then?