Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 11:59:59 PM

The private insurance premium (Box J Releve 1) as a medical expense is calculated correctly for the Federal return, but is calculated twice in Quebec deduction line 381.

When I include the private insurance premium (Box J of Releve 1) as a medical expense, it is calculated correctly for the Federal return. However, it gets calculated twice in Quebec deduction line 381. When I remove it as an expense, it no longer is included on the federal return, but is now correct on the Quebec.

How do I correct so that the premium is calculated for the federal return, but not counted for twice in the Quebec?

0 4 8131
1 Best answer
Level 13
Oct 31, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Both amounts are separately calculated in two different sections of your tax return. One is in Provincial and the other is a separate entry from a T4 box 85 for it to calculate on the Federal Return.

Box J of your Releve 1 goes to line 381 of your TP1 – Provincial Tax Return.

You would have to have a T4 box 85 amount which translates to Schedule 1 line 330 of your Federal Return.

4 Replies
Level 13
Oct 31, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Both amounts are separately calculated in two different sections of your tax return. One is in Provincial and the other is a separate entry from a T4 box 85 for it to calculate on the Federal Return.

Box J of your Releve 1 goes to line 381 of your TP1 – Provincial Tax Return.

You would have to have a T4 box 85 amount which translates to Schedule 1 line 330 of your Federal Return.

May 1, 2020 3:22:40 PM

Hello -

I'm currently working on my 2019 taxes, and I have EXACTLY the same issue as the previous customer. 

Unfortunately the answer provided by TurboTax moderator did not address the issue.

It's clear in the TurboTax software that there is a Federal & Provincial portion, as per the moderator's response. 
However, the issue lies in the fact that the Federal return requires a manual entering of the provincial plans' premiums, which then gets fed into the Provincial return. However, these same provincial plans' premiums are already captured from the Releve 1 in Box J, therefore, double-counting these premiums in the Provincial return. Can a member of the TurboTax team please re-address this question / issue?

Thank you very much. 

Apr 13, 2021 5:04:30 AM

I have the same issue as the 2 people above. It seems no one from Turbo Tax has yet to clarify and address this issue. How did you others solve it

Level 2
Apr 17, 2021 6:07:08 PM

I think I got why this is confusing.

T4 box 85 is the employee paid contribution toward a private health plan.

RL-1 box J is the employer paid contribution towards a private health plan. That contribution, is also included as part of the employee income (box A), for the Quebec taxes only.