Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Family tax credit applied?

While going through my return it came to the family tax credit page it said that we were eligible for $1500 credit, however our calculated refund was not changed in any way. I went through the review and didn't see it there either. How do I know that the credit was applied?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Check your summary.There should be an amount of FTC on line 423 on either you or your spouse return. This is the FTC that has been calculated.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted

Check your summary.There should be an amount of FTC on line 423 on either you or your spouse return. This is the FTC that has been calculated.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Is that in addition to your refund amount shown on the screen? Meaning can he add the 1500 to is refund amount?
Highlighted

This is my confusion as well.  I am led to believe that this tax cut is going to increase my return.  So, after my family tax cut was calculated and I see a tax cut of $1000 I expected my tax return to improve.  It did not change by a $1.  My family actually owes money still.  And to clarify, we have a basic tax return of mainly just T4's.  I assume I don't completely understand this "tax cut"??
Highlighted

I ended up calling the CRA and they told me it was a non-refundable tax credit meaning you would not get a return. She told me that it reduced your federal tax liability. If you owed money that it can be used as a credit so that you owe less money. If you still have questions call the CRA it was not a long wait to speak to someone. Overall I don't think the family tax cut is that advantageous.
Highlighted

The FTC if you get any is included in any refund amount that is indicated in Turbotax.
It is not an extra refund.
Overall THE FTC does not benefit the majority of people very much. It really only benefits families that have one high income earner and one partner with little or no income.
That's not very fair for most families of modest income where both partners are working and cannot afford to have a full-time homemaker.
Highlighted

There is a problem with turbo tax here. The software is NOT working.
Highlighted

I just filed our taxes and I can confirm that it is in fact working.  The federal tax amount shown on Line 406 for the person claiming has already been adjusted for the Family Tax Credit (as the line description on the Turbo Tax Detailed Tax Summary specifies).  If you look at the full paperwork/Schedule 1 and 1A you can see this in action.
Highlighted

I believe what caused my confusion was that turbo tax applies the tax credit before the family tax cut page so after answering the questions on the family tax cut page I expected my return to change but it had already been applied.  The tax credit was applied properly to my return.  Thanks
Highlighted

I was confused about the exact same thing. When I arrived at the page where you claim the FTC and chose the person who would claim the amount (my husband is the higher earner while I earn almost nothing staying at home with our children), our refund amount didn't change. It would seem that Turbo Tax automatically applies the credit earlier in the process, making this page irrelevant.