Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user97074

Borrowed money for legal and accounting advise to start two companies. What can I personally claim?

In the spring of 2014 I borrowed $3,000 and paid $2,000 to a lawyer and $1,000 to an accountant to set up 2 numbered companies and a family trust. (Numbers for demonstration purposes only). Neither company or family trust paid me anything, and are sitting idle. Am I able to claim the $3,000 as an expense on my personal tax? If so, where? What about the interest that I've paid on the money borrowed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Borrowed money for legal and accounting advise to start two companies. What can I personally claim?

You cannot claim these expenses on your personal tax.  These are shareholder loans to your companies, and are outstanding debts of your companies.  Keep in mind that the companies must file corporation income tax each year as well as annual reports or they may be dissolved.  The interest paid also gets added to the shareholder loans which should be apportioned to each corporation. The costs of incorporation are added to the schedule 10s in the T2s and are depreciated rather than written off.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot claim these expenses on your personal tax.  These are shareholder loans to your companies, and are outstanding debts of your companies.  Keep in mind that the companies must file corporation income tax each year as well as annual reports or they may be dissolved.  The interest paid also gets added to the shareholder loans which should be apportioned to each corporation. The costs of incorporation are added to the schedule 10s in the T2s and are depreciated rather than written off.

user97074

Excellent answer. Thank you.