Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was I not able to claim caregiver tax credit for my mother who is my dependent and has disability certificate? I claimed but the amount was zero.

1 Reply

Why was I not able to claim caregiver tax credit for my mother who is my dependent and has disability certificate? I claimed but the amount was zero.

As per CRA: The Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC), is a non-refundable tax credit. A non-refundable tax credit is a type of income tax break that reduces one's taxable income dollar for dollar. A non-refundable tax credit can only reduce taxable income down to zero and will not generate a tax refund in the case that the potential credit exceeds the taxable income (as a refundable credit would). The amount you can claim depends on your relationship to the person for whom you are claiming the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC), your circumstances, the person’s net income, and whether other credits are being claimed for that person. You can claim an amount up to a maximum of $7,276.

For more information on the Canada Caregiver Credit, see the TurboTax link below:

Everything You Need to Know About the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC)