Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b-doyle

Non bio parent claim child tax credit?

I have a child and was recently married. I am the higher income earner this year. I know usually the lower income parent claims the child, is this still allowed if he isn't her biological father, or any parental rights?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you mean claiming the "Amount for Children" credit, which was approximately $2000 per child...that is no longer a credit.  As to other credits, such as Child Care Expenses, that is claimed by the spouse/partner with the lower net income.  Fitness and arts credits may be claimed by either of you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you mean claiming the "Amount for Children" credit, which was approximately $2000 per child...that is no longer a credit.  As to other credits, such as Child Care Expenses, that is claimed by the spouse/partner with the lower net income.  Fitness and arts credits may be claimed by either of you.

b-doyle

Yes, but I was wondering if the lower income spouse is not a biological parent, are they still able to claim the child care expenses etc.?

You are common-law and both supporting g the child.   Because of this, regarles of blood relationship,  he is considered a parent and if his income is lower he is the one to claim child care.

Barbara is correct.