There may be times when you encounter an error message while filing your return using NETFILE. Often these are minor issues and can be fixed relatively quickly (things such as typos or incorrect submissions, for example).
One of the most common of these errors are entries that NETFILE considers invalid characters. These can be in the form of formatting or grammar/punctuation, and are often easily fixable.
The CRA considers the following characters invalid:
- a space ( ) as the first or last character of a name or postal code
- a period (.) as the first character of a name or address
- a number as part of a name or province
- a hyphen (-) as part of a province
- an apostrophe (') as part of a province
- a forward slash or backslash (/,) as part of a name or province
- an ampersand (&) as part of a name, city, or province
- a diacritic character as part of a province
- brackets ( ) as part of a name or Care of line
- A pound sign (#) as part of a name, Care of line, city, or province
- an asterisk (*)
To address this issue, in your TurboTax return, remove any invalid characters from your or your spouse's or common-law partner's name, address, province, Care of line or postal code, and then resubmit your return through the NETFILE service in TurboTax.