Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

Can I claim both federal and provincial tuition and education amounts?

For residents of most provinces, the CRA allows for you to claim both provincial and federal tuition amounts. Since tax year 2017, the federal education and textbook amount has been discontinued (though unused amounts can still be claimed from previous years).

Below is a list of provinces who have either retained or eliminated the tuition and education amounts:

Note: All provinces and territories have eliminated the textbook amount. If your province has discontinued other amounts, you are still able to carry them forward from previous years.

• Alberta
  • Manitoba
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nunavut
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec

• Ontario: The tuition tax credit for tuition paid until September 4, 2017, and the education credit for courses taken before September 2017 were the latest eligible claim.
  • Saskatchewan: The tuition amount for tuition paid between January 2017 and June 2017 were the latest eligible claim. You can also claim the education amounts for those months.

• British Columbia: The education tax credit has been discontinued for tax year 2019. However, students can continue to carry forward unused amounts to claim in a future year. The tuition tax credit is not impacted.
  • New Brunswick: The education tax credit has been discontinued, but the tuition tax credit has been reinstated for 2019 and later years. Tuition fees paid in 2017 and 2018 can now be claimed on your 2019 tax return, or carried forward to a future year. However, tuition fee tax credits from the prior year are non-transferable.

Student taxes 101: Learn how to maximize your deductions

Related information:

How do I claim my tuition fees?

What is the education amount?

What tuition and education expenses can a student claim?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in