Can I claim tuition to schools outside Canada (ex.... - Community `

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim tuition to schools outside Canada (ex. in the US)?

Yes, you can claim tuition paid to the following schools outside Canada:

  • Universities outside Canada where a Canadian student is enrolled in a course that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and leads to a degree.
  • Universities, colleges, or other educational institutions in the United States that give courses at the post-secondary school level if the student is living in Canada (near the border) throughout the year and commutes to that institution.

For you to claim tuition fees paid to an educational institution outside Canada, your institution must complete and give you either Form TL11A - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate - University Outside Canada, or Form TL11C - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate - Commuter to the United States, whichever applies.



If your tuition is reported in foreign currency: You must convert it to Canadian currency before entering your amounts. Use the exchange rate for the time when the tuition was paid. To do this:

  • If you paid by credit card, check your credit card statement for that month. The Canadian dollar amount will be shown on the statement, as well as the exchange rate at which it was calculated.
  • If you paid by another method, visit the Bank of Canada's Web site to get the exchange rate. Once you've determined the exchange rate, you can use their currency converter to convert your foreign amount to Canadian dollars



Student taxes 101: Learn how to maximize your deductions

Related information:


Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in