How do I add (or remove) the eligible dependant cr...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

How do I add (or remove) the eligible dependant credit from my tax return?

You may be able to claim the amount for an eligible dependant if, at any time in the tax year, you met ALL of the following conditions at once:

• You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person.
  • You supported a dependant in 2018.
  • You lived with the dependant (in most cases in Canada) in a home you maintained (you cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you).

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either:

• Your parent or grandparent by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption
  • Your child, grandchild, brother, or sister, by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption and under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions.

To add (or remove) this credit from your return:

Online version CD/Download version
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, then type Amount for an eligible dependant, and select Go.The Your children and other dependants page appears.
  2. Select Edit Credit Info.The Claim Dependant Credits page appears.
  3. Check the box for Amount for an eligible dependant then select Continue.
  4. Answer the question ‘Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant’, and select Continue.
  5. Repeat steps 3-5 for each of your dependants
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, then type Claims for dependants, and select Go.The Claims for dependants page appears.
  2. Answer yes to the question ‘Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?’, then select Continue.
  3. Select your first (or only) dependant from the list, then select Enter Dependant Credits.
  4. Check the box Amount for an eligible dependant, then select Continue.
  5. Answer the question ‘Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant?’, then select Continue.
  6. Repeat steps 4-6 for each of your dependants.

Related information:

Who can claim the tax credit for an eligible dependant?

Can I claim the eligible dependant credit for more than one child?

What is the amount for an eligible dependant?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in