How do I claim the amount for full-time post-secon...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

How do I claim the amount for full-time post-secondary studies (RL-8)?

The steps for claiming the amounts on an RL-8 vary depending on whether you are a student claiming this amount on your own return, or are transferring these amounts over from a dependant. Make sure to select your proper status, as well as your current version of TurboTax from the list provided for more detailed instructions:

Note: TurboTax automatically calculates the maximum amount you can claim and subtracts it from your tax balance owing.

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find), and type Student into the search field.
  2. Select Students from the options that appear, and then select Go.
  3. On the Your Student Profile step, select Tuition fees on a receipt, T2202A, Relevé 8, or TL11, then select Continue.
  4. On the Let’s get you some tax breaks for going to school step, enter the information from your T2202A (if applicable), then select Enter Relevé 8.
  5. On the Amount for Post-secondary studies step, enter the information from your Relevé 8, then select Done With Relevé 8.

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find), and type Students into the search field.
  2. Select Students from the options that appear, and then select Go.
  3. On the Your Student Profile step, select Tuition fees on a receipt, T2202A, Relevé 8, or TL11, then select Continue.
  4. On the Let’s get you some tax breaks for going to school step, enter tuition fees not reported on a slip (if applicable), then select Enter T2202A – Relevé 8.
  5. On the T2202A Tuition and education amounts step, enter the information from your T2202A slip, then select Enter Relevé 8.
  6. On the Relevé 8 – Amount for Full-time Post-secondary Studies step, enter the information from your Relevé 8, then select Done with Relevé 8.

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find), and type Claims for Dependants into the search field.
  2. Select Claims for Dependents from the options that appear, then select Go.
  3. On the Claims for Dependants step, at Would you like to review or claim any of these credits, select Yes, then select Continue.
  4. On the Your children and other dependants step, select Enter Credit Info next to the dependant transferring their amount to you.
  5. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue.
  6. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the information from your dependant’s tax return in the space provided.
  7. Select Tuition Transfer.
  8. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the amount of federal tuition your dependant is transferring to you, then select Continue.

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find), and type Dependants into the search field.
  2. Select Claims for Dependents from the options that appear, then select Go.
  3. On the Claims for Dependants step, at Would you like to review or claim any of these credits, select Yes, then select Continue.
  4. On the Dependant credits step, select the dependant transferring their amount to you, then select Enter Dependant Credits.
  5. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue.
  6. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the information from your dependant’s T2202A, Schedule S, Schedule T, and Relevé 8, then select Continue.
  7. On the Dependant credits step, select Done Entering Credits.

Related information:

How do I enter dependants in online editions of TurboTax?

How do I enter dependants in the CD/download edition of TurboTax?

What do I need to know about transferring unused tuition credits?

How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v