When you start a new return, TurboTax will ask 'Do you have children or financially support another person?' in the INTRODUCTION section of your return.
To jump back to this step in your TurboTax return:
- Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
- In the Find window, type Dependants.
- Select Dependants from the list and then select Go.
- Answer Yes to the question Do you have children or financially support another person? Note: If you've already entered one or more dependants, skip to step 6.
- Select Continue on the Dependant transfer step.
- Select Enter New Dependant.
- Enter your dependant's info and select Continue.
Info about your dependant (like their birthdate, their relationship to you and their income) is used to determine your eligibility for certain credits and deductions so be sure to enter this info accurately.
Important: You cannot claim your spouse or common-law partner as a dependant, even if they have no income.