Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intuit

How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

In order to transfer your unused tuition credits to someone else, you'll first need to inform them of the precise amount(s) so that they can claim them on their own tax return. The first step is to enter your income information into TurboTax, then follow these instructions to claim your tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits you may transfer to another party.

How to transfer your unused tuition credits:

Online edition CD/Download edition
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, then type Students into the search bar.
  2. Select the Students option from the search results, then select Go.The Your Student Profile page appears.
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select ContinueThe T2202A, TL11, and Tuition Fees Paid - Summary, or the T2202A, TL11, Relevé 8 and Tuition Fees Paid - Summary page appears.
  4. Select Done with tuition feesThe Transfer Tuition and Education page appears.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select Continue
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you will be prompted to enter those amounts next.
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, then type Students into the search bar.
  2. Select the Students option from the search results, then select Go.The Your Student Profile page appears.
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select ContinueThe Let's get you some tax breaks for going to school! page appears.
  4. Select Done with TuitionThe Transfer tuition (federal) step appears.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select the person you want to transfer them to, and select Enter
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you will be prompted to enter those amounts next.

Related information:

How do I enter tuition transferred from a spouse or child?

How much of my child's or spouse's unused tuition credits can be transferred to me?

How do I claim my tuition fees?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in