Can I claim my spouse or common-law partner as my ...

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my spouse or common-law partner as my dependent?

Your spouse or common-law partner cannot be claimed as your dependent. However, if you supported your spouse or common-law partner at any time during the year, and they have a low income, you may be able to claim the Spouse or common-law partner (SCP) amount.



TurboTax automatically calculates the SCP when you enter your marital status and complete your spouse’s personal information section.




Unused tax credits from the lower income spouse may also be transferred to the other if needed to reduce taxes. The CRA website provides more information.

Related information:

What do I do if I don't know my spouse's income?

I’m separated or divorced. Why am I being asked for info about my former spouse/partner?

How do I change my marital status in online editions of TurboTax?

Why won’t TurboTax let me change my marital status to single?

Frequently asked questions about marital status and filing your taxes

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in