Splitting of the Canada Caregiver Credit (called the Family Caregiver Amount for tax years 2016 and earlier) is only available in CD/download editions of TurboTax.
Note: You can split the amount you're claiming for other inform dependants age 18 or older. You cannot split the other two amounts that make up the credit (the amount for your spouse/partner/eligible dependant age 18 or older, and the amount for infirm children under 18 years of age).
Instructions for splitting the Canada Caregiver Credit
- Select Forms in the upper-right area of TurboTax if you're not already in Forms mode.
- Select Forms in the upper-left area of TurboTax.
- Enter "schedule 5" in the Keyword to search for field in the box that appears.
- Select Schedule 5 – Details of Dependant from the Forms section, then select OK.
- Amounts for Spouse or Common-Law Partner and Dependants – Schedule 5 appears.
- Navigate to the section for the amount you want to split.
- If you're splitting the Canada Caregiver Credit, scroll to the Canada caregiver amount for other infirm dependants age 18 or older section.
- If you're splitting the Family Caregiver Amount (tax years 2016 and earlier only), scroll to the Caregiver amount section.
- Place your cursor at the line labelled Allowable amount for this dependant.
- Press F2 on your keyboard.
- Select Yes in the box that appears.
- Enter the amount you'd like to claim, then press Enter on your keyboard. Your override amount will appear in red.
- Repeat steps 1-9 for the other person claiming the credit.
Note: Ensure that the combined amount of the split does not exceed the maximum amount you can claim.