Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support

What is the children's arts amount tax credit?

Tax year 2016 was the last year to claim this tax credit at the federal level.

Tax year 2017 was the last year to claim this tax credit at the provincial level for British Columbia.

Manitoba, Québec and Yukon have maintained their equivalent credit for tax year 2018.

The children’s arts amount tax credit (CATC) could be claimed by parents who enrolled their (or their spouse or common-law partner’s) child in an arts program. 2016 was the last year to claim this tax credit.

Eligible costs included registration and membership fees up to a maximum allowable amount of $250 for each child enrolled in prescribed programs of artistic, cultural, recreational or developmental activity. (In previous tax years the maximum allowable amount was $500 per child.)

To qualify for the CATC, the child must have been under 16 years of age at the beginning of the tax year in which you paid the fees (or under 18 years of age if the child is eligible for the disability tax credit [DTC]). Either spouse may have claimed this credit, or it could be split between both parents, to a total credit of $250 for each child. For children who qualified for the DTC, an additional $500 could be claimed, provided a minimum of $100 of the costs were incurred for membership or registration fees.

This tax credit was non-refundable. The CRA website provides further specifics.

Related Information:

What activities qualify for the Children’s Arts amount?

Can I claim both the Children’s Arts and Child Fitness amounts?

Do you know about the children’s fitness tax credit?

Rewritten/updated February 3, 2017.

New content published by Erich Schmidt on February 24, 2016

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in