The CRA’s NETFILE service accepts tax returns for the past four years. You can use TurboTax to NETFILE your returns for tax years 2018 and beyond during the 2021 tax season. Returns for tax years prior to 2018 must be printed and mailed to the CRA.
The CRA has some restrictions regarding who can use the NETFILE service. You can't use NETFILE if:
- Your social insurance number or individual tax number begins with 09
- You went bankrupt during the tax year or the year before (that doesn't include a proposal for bankruptcy)
- You weren't a resident of Canada during the tax year
- Your address is outside of Canada
You can see the complete list of restrictions on the NETFILE eligibility page on the CRA’s website.
If one of CRA’s restrictions applies to you, TurboTax will let you know when you try to file your return. In this case, print and mail your return to the CRA.
- Printing instructions for the online edition of TurboTax
- Printing instructions for the CD/download edition of TurboTax
Note: If none of CRA’s restrictions applies to you and you’re being prevented from using NETFILE, it could be that the service is down or unavailable. Check NETFILE’s availability and try filing again when the service is available.