Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support
Intuit

Why am I not eligible to file my tax return using NETFILE?

The CRA’s NETFILE service accepts tax returns for the past four years. You can use TurboTax to NETFILE your returns for tax years 2018 and beyond during the 2021 tax season. Returns for tax years before 2018 must be printed and mailed to the CRA.

The CRA has some restrictions regarding who can use the NETFILE service. You can't use NETFILE if:

• Your social insurance number or individual tax number begins with 09
  • You went bankrupt during the tax year or the year before (this doesn't include a proposal for bankruptcy)
  • You weren't a resident of Canada during the tax year
  • Your address is outside Canada

You can see the complete list of restrictions on the NETFILE eligibility page on the CRA’s website.

If one of CRA’s restrictions applies to you, TurboTax will let you know when you try to file your return. In this case, print and mail your return to the CRA.

Note: If none of the CRA’s restrictions apply to you and you’re being prevented from using NETFILE, it could be that the service is down or unavailable. Check NETFILE’s availability and try filing again when the service is running.

Related information

Where do I mail my federal tax return?

Why is NETFILE disabled?

Can I submit a previous year's tax return using NETFILE?

In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?

In the CD/download edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v