Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tosbourne88
Returning Member

Box 20 on T4

Been researching everything that i can find online and haven't come to conclusion.  I have a Group RRSP, they match 50%.   When i received my T4, my contributions were but into box 20.  From what I can tell, box 20 should be empty, the employers portion goes added to my income (Box 14, which it did), and I claim a deduction for the total (mine and the employers) contributions.  This is a new company I started with and the first time i seen a group RRSP being added to box 20.  Will it make a difference if I leave Box 20, box 52 like it is and add the employers contributions as a RRSP Deduction, or will this pull a red flag?

Thanks,

1 Reply

Box 20 on T4

On your T4, the purpose of Box 20 is for Registered Pension Plan (RPP) contributions to be deducted, since you specifically stated that the contribution was a Group RRSP, it indeed should have been reported on Box 14 as part of earnings. However making changes yourself may pose a risk for inaccuracy; I would suggest you contact the employer and ask why it was done this way. If it was indeed a mistake then it would be safe for changes. The change would then be:

-> A subtraction from Box 20, and an addition of the same amount into Box 14, as well as a RRSP Contribution to be reported.

For more information, check out: TurboTax - T4 Slip Information

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.