Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

Can I file my taxes with that of my wife? She's filing for the first time in Canada?

I have been filing taxes since 2013 but my wife joined me in 2018 and this will be her first time. Can I file both taxes together under my account?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

Can I file my taxes with that of my wife? She's filing for the first time in Canada?

Yes, you can prepare both your tax returns at the same time in your TurboTax Online account. When it comes time to actually "file" the returns, each return is sent to CRA separately, whether it be NetFiled or printed and mailed to CRA. Your wife's return will most likely need to be printed and paper filed as this will be her first time filing as a New Resident in Canada.

It's important to answer the question at the beginning "Yes, I want to prepare our returns at the same time" so your information is entered simultaneously and you get all the benefits and credits you are entitled to. 

Be sure you answer these questions correctly for your spouse:

• Are you a Canadian citizen?
  • Yes, this is the first time that a tax return is being filed with the CRA in my name (either by me or on my behalf).
  • Yes, my residency has changed. (a drop down will open for you to complete the necessary information for your spouse)

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647876

1 Reply
Level 1

Yes, you can prepare both your tax returns at the same time in your TurboTax Online account. When it comes time to actually "file" the returns, each return is sent to CRA separately, whether it be NetFiled or printed and mailed to CRA. Your wife's return will most likely need to be printed and paper filed as this will be her first time filing as a New Resident in Canada.

It's important to answer the question at the beginning "Yes, I want to prepare our returns at the same time" so your information is entered simultaneously and you get all the benefits and credits you are entitled to. 

Be sure you answer these questions correctly for your spouse:

• Are you a Canadian citizen?
  • Yes, this is the first time that a tax return is being filed with the CRA in my name (either by me or on my behalf).
  • Yes, my residency has changed. (a drop down will open for you to complete the necessary information for your spouse)

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647876