Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loudy_ca
Returning Member

Child Care

Hello, I work full time as well my wife, we both works full time, and we have 2 kids.

one is going to full time day care

and the other is going to before and after school care.

We pay the full amount for the care as we do not qualify for any subsidy

Can I claim that amount that we paid to the day care in our tax?

the forms shows only, the following below, there is nothing mentioned about going to work?

Please help, if we are eligible to claim the child care amounts.

I read lots of articles that says I can claim, example: https://help.hrblockonline.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/[social security number removed]-T778-Child-care-exp...

the options I see only are:

a) attended college, oruniversity part-time

b) attended college, oruniversity full-time.

c) was incapable of caringfor children because of a mental orphysical infirmity. That person must havebeen confined for a period of at least twoweeks in 2019 to a bed orwheelchair, or as a patient in a hospital,or other similar institution.

d) was incapable of caringfor children in 2019 because of a mentalor physical infirmity. Thissituation is likely to continue for anindefinite period.

e) was confined to a prisonor similar institution for a period of atleast two weeks in 2019.

f) was your spouse orcommon-law partner and, due to abreakdown in your relationship, livingseparate and apart at the endof 2019 and for a period ofat least 90 days beginning in2019, but you reconciledbefore March 1st, 2020.

Please help, how I can enter the amount for the child care. thank you

1 Reply

Child Care

You likely already indicated earlier in the return that you want to claim child care expenses, if you are seeing that page.

When you actually get to the Child Care Expenses page, it asks you if the spouse with the higher net income qualifies to claim the expenses. If you answer YES, then it takes you to the page where it asks you which person has the higher net income. The next page asks questions regarding the lower income spouse which are the questions you have listed in your post.

If none of these apply to the lower income spouse in your family, then you can use the Back button (or Find>Child Care Expenses) to go back to the first Child Care Expenses page. There you can answer NO to the question regarding if the higher net income qualifies to claim the expenses. You’ll still be claiming Child Care Expenses, but they will go on the return of the lower income spouse.