Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AD2K
Returning Member

Does it matter which TurboTax version is used when filing?

I am preparing 2 returns at the same time, one for me and one for my spouse. I have self-employment income but my spouse does not. Since I have self-employment income I upgraded to "TurboTax Self-Employment" version. Trouble is that it upgraded my spouse as well. I really do not want to file separately. If I just pay for them both as the  "TurboTax Self-Employment" version will that affect my spouses return? Or is the version just for online and does affect my spouses actual return status? In other words I don't want a version that will indicate to the government that my spouse is self-employed when they are not.

3 Replies

"Self-Employed" is just the name of the product. Using it doesn't automatically put self-employment on the return.

Brandon780
Returning Member

I have the same issue, however I am trying to use Turbo Tax Live and that is $250, but in order to do my spouses taxes at the same time it is trying to charge an additional $250 for her return and is defining her return and price as Self-Employed. At this point I cannot even get a Live agent until I pay the total of $500. I think there is a problem here.

@Brandon780

If you prepare your return together with your spouse in TurboTax, then you will both will be using the same version of the program, and you will both be charged the same price. You can only prepare your returns in different products if you prepare your returns separately.