Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lionking2018
Returning Member

E-filing - I think I messed up

Need assistance...

I don't charge for doing taxes for family. This year I did my daughter's and new husband's taxes, my son's as it made sense to do his own, another family member , a friend and the 88 year old aunt that has to file taxes simply due to dividend payments.

The issue, that is 5 returns and I didn't realize the e-filing limitation was an IRS issue and not an Intuit issue. I need to submit my 2020 taxes and they are fairly involved and paper filing just seems like a complete inefficiency for all concerned. How can I address this? Can I provide my .tax2020 file to someone else to file it electronically? Each time when I click next after indicating e-file, I get the message about 5 returns already having been e-filed on my desktop version. I don't get to the prompt about bank accounts and email addresses as it won't get past that (meaning the comments about per email address is invalid).

I'm thinking the simplest way is to be able to take the file to someone else to e-file. Perfectly willing to pay for the service as the taxes are done. For 2021, the then 89 year old aunt is in...  One of the adult children are getting booted off the (tax) island and will get to file their own.

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply

E-filing - I think I messed up

There is a limit of 5 efiles per computer.  If you find someone with the program on their computer who has not used their five efiles, you can take your file and efile from their computer.   You could also purchase another copy of the program and install it on a different computer.  Often you can find the program on eBay for a reduced price.