Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Input Foreign Income Exempt under Tax Treaty ??

To get the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) for the foreign tax you paid, you would enter your income & taxes paid on the foreign slip. This will transfer the information to the FTC page. 

To enter an amount on Line 25600, go to the second page of Miscellaneous deductions and enter the amount as "Other". 

Same question for me ...

It looks good, but I do not see it in report for 2022. Probably it was not there. Could you suggest a solution for 2022 report? Thank you!

Update. I had a call with the TT experts today, looks like the feature doesn't work with reports in Quebec province. It wasn't possible to add foreign employment and foreign business income exempt under treaty to the line 25600. Could you correct this, Turbotax?

Regardless of which province of Canada you live in, if you are reporting Foreign income, You will enter it under foreign income- then go to the top right and click on FInd- type in Foreign tax credit.   If the foreign country has a tax treaty with Canada, this is where you will enter the information on this sheet.  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Dear Brenda, thank you for your response. It is not the case for 2022 report for Quebec. The treaty is with Ukraine. There is a field to input "Treaty exempt pension", "Treaty exempt investment", but it is not possible to input "Treaty exempt foreign employment" and "Treaty exempt foreign business income", which shall take the values to the line 25600. Maybe it has changed in 2023, but for 2022 it's a gap. If I were on the development team, I would allow the clients to make inputs into the proper lines manually. That would solve the problem.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated and we will look into this.