Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

How to report change of use principal residence

I didn’t find any info on turbo tax premier 

about change of use principal residence to rental property 


it only ask for did you dispose  your property 


how do I report it and what other documents I needed 



1 Reply
zo  mohammady
Level 6

How to report change of use principal residence

There is no need to report the change of use. If you operate a business from your home or rent out part (or all) of your residence, you’re changing the use of your property from residential to income-earning. Because the PR exemption applies only to the time your home was just your residence (and earned no income), you may be subject to capital gains rules when you sell


When you’re a landlord, it’s important to keep good records. Not only will you want to keep records of the rent you receive (income), you’ll also want to claim any expenses you incur (deductions) on your rental property. Landlords, along with self-employed individuals, are more likely to be audited than salaried employees, according to the CRA. It’s important to have all your receipts for expenses, otherwise your tax deductions could be disallowed and you could face costly penalties and interest.

More information is available on the following links:

Tips for Renting out Your House

 Changing all your principal residence to a rental or business property

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter