Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am on title but not responsible for anything

I am trying to help my friend for his investment property by putting my name on mortgage. I am not investing anything therefore doing this for friendship. Will i be required to declare income on that property? We will be having a legal document signed off that i am not responsible for any income or expense for this property.Would that document be enough to keep me away from declaring any income on that property.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Per CRA:

Who reports the rental income or loss?

The person who owns the rental property has to report the rental income or loss. If you are a co-owner of the rental property, your share of the rental income or loss will depend on your share of ownership.

Report the rental income the same way for each year you own that rental property. In other words, you cannot change the percentage of the rental income or loss you report each year unless the percentage of your ownership in the property changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Per CRA:

Who reports the rental income or loss?

The person who owns the rental property has to report the rental income or loss. If you are a co-owner of the rental property, your share of the rental income or loss will depend on your share of ownership.

Report the rental income the same way for each year you own that rental property. In other words, you cannot change the percentage of the rental income or loss you report each year unless the percentage of your ownership in the property changes.