Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do not own a business however I have work-related expenses that my employer does not cover.

Can I claim expenses such as work uniforms, gas, meals, health insurance that I pay monthly which are all related to my line of work?

1 Reply

I do not own a business however I have work-related expenses that my employer does not cover.

As per CRA: You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income. You can do this only if your employment contract required you to pay the expenses and you did not receive an allowance for them, or the allowance you received is included in your income.

Most employees cannot claim employment expenses. You cannot deduct the cost of travel to and from work, or other expenses, such as most tools and clothing.

Employee-paid premiums to a private health services plan are considered qualifying medical expenses and can be claimed by the employee on their income tax and benefit return.

For more information on private health services plans, go to Private Health Services Plan 

For more information please check: Can I Claim Employment Expenses?

If you need any further clarifications, we would be glad to assist you by having you contact us by phone or via Facebook or  Twitter