Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kostast

I'm filling for the first time and I used NETFILE without any errors. I called CRA and they advised that first time filers should file via mail. How did mine go through?

I would like to know how TurboTax managed to file my tax return via NETFILE when I am filling for the first time. CRA advised that they don't understand how this might have happened. Can you please help me understand what happened?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm filling for the first time and I used NETFILE without any errors. I called CRA and they advised that first time filers should file via mail. How did mine go through?

If CRA already had your information on file, (most importantly your Date of Birth), then a First Time Filer can use NetFile. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/who-can-use-netfile-96

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If CRA already had your information on file, (most importantly your Date of Birth), then a First Time Filer can use NetFile. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/who-can-use-netfile-96

kostast

I can't think of how they might have known this information. Is there a possibility that my employer would have provided my some information? (I work for the government)

That's a possibility, also it depends on "why" you are a first-time filer. If you are a newcomer to Canada, you may have completed an application of some sort that was forwarded to CRA.
kostast

I am a newcomer so that might have to do something with it. Anyway, bottom-line is that they have some information and I am glad that NETFILE got accepted 🙂 . Thank you very much for answering my question!