Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cinlak

My daughter has to mail in her tax return as it’s her first time filing. She doesn’t need her tuition can I claim it?

I was e filing my tax return.  
1 Reply

My daughter has to mail in her tax return as it’s her first time filing. She doesn’t need her tuition can I claim it?

Yes, your daughter can transfer her unused tuition credits to you. In order to transfer unused tuition credits to someone else, you first need to know the precise amount(s) so that you can claim them on your tax return. In the first step your daughter need to enter her income information into TurboTax, then claim her tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits she may transfer to you.

Refer to the following steps for instructions on how to transfer your unused tuition credits in TurboTax:

Instructions for TurboTax Online

1. Select Find from the menu, then enter students into the search bar
  2. Select Students from the search results, then select Go. The Your Student Profile screen appears
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select Continue.
  4. Select Done with Tuition Fees. Proceed through your return until the Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal) screen appears
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select Continue
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you'll be prompted to enter those amounts next

Instructions for TurboTax CD/Download

1. Select Find from the menu, then enter students into the search bar
  2. Select Students from the search results, then select Go. The Your student profile screen appears
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select Continue. The Let's get you some tax breaks for going to school! screen appears
  4. Select Done With Tuition. Proceed through your return until the Transfer tuition (federal) step appears
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select the person you want to transfer them to, and select Continue
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you'll be prompted to enter those amounts next

For more information about how to claim and enter in your tax return, please see the links below.

TurboTax  FAQ's: How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or child?

TurboTax Article: Claiming a Tuition Amount From Your Child’s College.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.