Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSmizzoni
Returning Member

Netfile - First Time Returns

I cannot get Turbo Tax to allow me to Netfile two first-time tax returns.   They are for my two 18 year old kids with minimal income and there is nothing in either return that should exclude these returns from using Netfile.

Where can you see in Turbotax the specific issue preventing electronic filing?   

1 Reply

Netfile - First Time Returns

Most first-time filers can’t use NETFILE as the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) doesn’t have their personal information on file yet. You will have to print and mail your children’s returns this year. Next year they will be able to NETFILE.

To print a return to mail-in TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep Mode, select File > NETFILE or Print from the bottom of the left side menu. You will need to run the review before it will allow you to proceed. Continue through the pages until you get to the “[Name], you are ready to file” page, and then click “Start”. Select “I want to print & mail my return” and then click “Continue”. Continue through the pages until you get to the “Print and mail your CRA return. You're nearly done!” There you will have the option to print a version of your return that is required to send to the CRA. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.