Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-resident spouse's income

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian PR since September, 2019. My wife is not living with me in Canada. She is living in our home country.

She had income in her country after I became in PR. When I am filing tax return, I encounter this question:
"Spouse's net income while you were living in Canada". I put $8,000 because that's her foreign income for that period of time.

I am claiming any credits or deductions for my spouse and the process is supposed to be simple. However, before I file my tax return, TurboTax gives me an Error statement, saying that my wife's total yearly income can't be 0 because she made $8,000. I corrected this mistake and put $8,000 as her total income, because her total income also equals to $8,000.

Then I filed the returns and I noticed that when corrected that mistake, it automatically change the answer to this question: "Net income from spouse's 2019 federal tax return (Line 23600)" from 0 to 8,000.
The problem here is that my wife has never filed her 2019 federal tax return because she has never been or lived in Canada. 
But when I tried to correct the number and put it back $0, I got an error, saying that this number can't be $0 because my wife made $8,000.

It's so confusing. The tax return has been filed already and I am not sure what to do.
I don't get any credits for my spouse, so this number didn't give me any refunds that I am not entitled to but it's still the wrong information

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Our phone support team will be able to assist you with more information. 

Occasionally, you may disagree with a tax assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This may be because you think it's incorrect, you found out information is missing.

Requesting a change to your tax return is often the easiest way to resolve an issue. The easiest way to correct any errors is to "Amend" your tax return. The CRA will consider the new information you include when you file a return or request a change to a return you have already filed. Make sure not to miss any credits or benefits you may be eligible for. If you have tried to resolve your issue but are still unhappy with the outcome, you may need to object to the assessment formally.

It is essential to select the right course of action to ensure your issue is resolved quickly, saving you time and money. Need help getting started? Please click the following link for further clarifications:

Finding the best way to resolve your tax issues

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Our phone support team will be able to assist you with more information. 

Occasionally, you may disagree with a tax assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This may be because you think it's incorrect, you found out information is missing.

Requesting a change to your tax return is often the easiest way to resolve an issue. The easiest way to correct any errors is to "Amend" your tax return. The CRA will consider the new information you include when you file a return or request a change to a return you have already filed. Make sure not to miss any credits or benefits you may be eligible for. If you have tried to resolve your issue but are still unhappy with the outcome, you may need to object to the assessment formally.

It is essential to select the right course of action to ensure your issue is resolved quickly, saving you time and money. Need help getting started? Please click the following link for further clarifications:

Finding the best way to resolve your tax issues

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.