Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmori77

Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time? filing for the first time in 25 years (usa reasident since jan. 1st 1996), do i say yes or no?

2 Replies
Shezad_Rahman
Returning Member

Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time? filing for the first time in 25 years (usa reasident since jan. 1st 1996), do i say yes or no?

Thank you for choosing the TurboTax community.

First-time filers have to do a paper return and then use NETFILE moving forward. 

Given that you have filed 25 years ago, please contact CRA for further information. You can contact them at CRA Tax Enquiries: 1-800-959-8281

Helpful tips for first-time filers can be found at Tips-TurboTax.

Additional Information can be found on the CRA website regarding income tax rules that apply to Non-residents in Canada at CRA-Non-Residents, and there is a detailed publication at CRA-Income Tax and Benefit Guide 5013-G which gives you all the necessary information that you need to file your income tax return.

SMURF CIN

NO THIS IS NOT MY FIRST TIME FILING.  THE ACCESS CODE APPEARED CORRECTLY IN THE BOX JUST BEFORE THE FINAL STEPS OF COMPLETING NET FILE.