Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yywalnut

Can I file federal tax by email in 2020

I want to take the benefit of a tax treaty exemption. Therefore I can not efile. However, the IRS won't process the mailed filing this year until it's reopened. What should I do? Can I file by email?

1 Reply

Can I file federal tax by email in 2020

There are two ways to file your tax return.   You can file electronically--e-file -- or you can print, sign and mail your return.  Email is not a way to file a tax return.

The IRS is not "closed"--but they are backlogged and are not opening mailed returns at this time.  They will get to them later.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**