Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_hoogwerf
Level 1

Can my mother in-law claim the caregiver amount for her deceased husband?

My mother in-law provided care for her husband from January to June last year until he passed. Can she claim the caregiver amount on her 2019 taxes. In the software there is no option to select the caregiver amount when we input her husbands tax information. I'm not sure if the caregiver amount option is turned off as her status is now "widowed" or for some other reason. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies
TurboTaxGinette

We are sorry for your loss and are here to help you.

Yes, your mother-in-law can claim the caregiver amount as noted in this Canada Revenue Agency link.

If needed, the CRA has a very detailed link named Preparing Returns for Deceased Persons 2019.

In the TurboTax Online version enter your mother-in-law's return.

1. From inside the return go to the left-hand-side menu to My Info then Marital status
  2. What's your marital status? screen will come up to be filled then click on Continue.
  3. From the left-hand-side menu go to your father-in-law's personal information
  4. Now, let's get _____ information screen will open to be filled then click Continue
  5. Tell us more about ____ screen will open to be filled
  6. Then scroll down to Canada Caregiver Amount and choose Yes then Continue at the bottom of the screen.
  7. The Caregiver Amount has now been entered and calculated.
j_hoogwerf
Level 1

Hi, thank you for your quick reply. The links that you provided were ones that I had found through the excellent help menu. I'm glad you confirmed what I looked up. I'm still having difficulty finding the selection for the caregiver amount. Let me supply some more information the help with your efforts.

1. I am using the Turbotax 2019 Standard CD/download version. I'm not sure if there is a difference.

2. I've completed my father in-laws taxes separately as indicated by the software.

3. When I enter my other in-laws marital information, I entered her status as "widowed" in 2019. When I get to my father in-law's personal information there is no selection for the Caregiver amount. Just as a double check I've entered her status as "married" and the Caregiver amount selection is in my father in-laws personal information.

So my additional question(s) would be: 

1. Is it correct for me to list her status as married in order to have the Caregiver option appear?

2. Is this a software issue and I'm just not able to select the Caregiver option if I have my mother in-laws status as "widowed"

I appreciate your help! 

sgauthier1
Level 1

I am in the same situation, however want to claim the Canada Caregiver Amount for Spouse (line 30425) on my return.

I also entered "widowed" under marital status and don't see how I can enter the CC amount.

Not sure how to do this with the PC/Desktop version of TT 2019.

Please advise.

Thanks

v