Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing for Deceased - Need Help

My Dad passed away Oct 2020 and I'm told I need to file a final return. This is super confusing to me as there seems to be conflicting information. I read that I can file this using TurboTax Standard but some say I can't and need to do a T3 Trust return instead which I have no idea what that is.

In TurboTax Standard when I create a new return, the first question it asks:

What's your marital status?
On December 31,2020 ,you were:
Married
Living Common Law
Widowed
Divorced
Separated
Single

There's no option to choose deceased...

My Dad had no will and no income except for CPP and OAS. His only assets was a joint bank account shared with my Mom to which the CPP and OAS were deposited.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We're sorry for your loss. It is correct that you need to file the Final Return to know the income and any tax amount owing by the deceased but NOT the T3 Trust Return because it is for Income from any investments such as Mutual fund, beneficiaries, etc. 

Further, please follow the highlighted steps: 

1. After you initiate, please select "Someone else" because you are filing for your father. 

1.png

2. Select "No".

2.png

3. This is important, please make sure to enter your father's name here. (After you enter his name, further steps or forms will be continued to be auto-filled with his name. 

3.png

4. Select "Yes".

4.png

5. Enter the accurate date of death.

5.png6. Click "Continue".

7. Please select the marital status of your father at the time of his death. (Select the option which best suits your situation).

6.png

8. Then follow the steps accordingly. 

We also encourage you to please read our blog on How to Prepare Return for Deceased Person and Deceased Tax Returns in Canada. 

Please find some helpful tips below:

1. Fill in all the details of the deceased person.

2. Before the name of the deceased, please add "The Estate of the Late".

3. Give the address the same as yours because you're a legal representative of the deceased.

4. Ensure the province or territory of living by 31st December, of the deceased.

5. Checkmark (Tick) the marital status of the deceased at the time of death

6. Enter the Date of Death in an accurate line. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

We're sorry for your loss. It is correct that you need to file the Final Return to know the income and any tax amount owing by the deceased but NOT the T3 Trust Return because it is for Income from any investments such as Mutual fund, beneficiaries, etc. 

Further, please follow the highlighted steps: 

1. After you initiate, please select "Someone else" because you are filing for your father. 

1.png

2. Select "No".

2.png

3. This is important, please make sure to enter your father's name here. (After you enter his name, further steps or forms will be continued to be auto-filled with his name. 

3.png

4. Select "Yes".

4.png

5. Enter the accurate date of death.

5.png6. Click "Continue".

7. Please select the marital status of your father at the time of his death. (Select the option which best suits your situation).

6.png

8. Then follow the steps accordingly. 

We also encourage you to please read our blog on How to Prepare Return for Deceased Person and Deceased Tax Returns in Canada. 

Please find some helpful tips below:

1. Fill in all the details of the deceased person.

2. Before the name of the deceased, please add "The Estate of the Late".

3. Give the address the same as yours because you're a legal representative of the deceased.

4. Ensure the province or territory of living by 31st December, of the deceased.

5. Checkmark (Tick) the marital status of the deceased at the time of death

6. Enter the Date of Death in an accurate line. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks for your reply.

On the desktop app, there is no question that says "who are you preparing for?" but I figured it out. It's different than the online version.

The first question is asking about marital status. After choosing Married, there is a question below regarding filing for deceased.

Capture.PNG

anney1948

I entered all the info on my deceased husband return. When I wanted to net-file it, a message appeared saying, "the deceased return is not eligible for net-file.

HELP

Sorry but deceased person's returns cannot be net filed. I had to mail it for my dad.