Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-Employed CPP Contributions - Are they included in Federal amount due?

I'm preparing my son's 2019 tax return using TurboTax Home & Business.  He's self-employed.

I completed the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities form, and understand that TurboTax will calculate his CPP contributions payable based on his "Net Business Income".
TurboTax shows how much taxes he has to pay as a 'Federal balance due' of $3325.00, obviously payable to CRA, which is fine.

Does the 'Federal balance due' include his CPP contribution for this year, or will he have to pay an amount to CPP separately?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the amount of CPP is included in the Federal balance due. In Easy Step mode, it’s lumped in with other payments as “CPP, EI, and Social benefits repayment” on the Detailed Tax Summary. You can see the Detailed Tax Summary by clicking on the balance owing/refund number in the top left.

In Forms mode you can see it clearly on the T1 in Step 7 - Refund or Balance Owing. It’s on line 42100. You can get to Forms mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the blue icon bar. Then click on the Federal icon. In the pop-up, select “Go To Page 4” and click OK. You should land near Step 7 on the T1 – you might need to scroll down a bit.

To get back to EasyStep mode, just click the EasyStep icon in the blue icon bar.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, the amount of CPP is included in the Federal balance due. In Easy Step mode, it’s lumped in with other payments as “CPP, EI, and Social benefits repayment” on the Detailed Tax Summary. You can see the Detailed Tax Summary by clicking on the balance owing/refund number in the top left.

In Forms mode you can see it clearly on the T1 in Step 7 - Refund or Balance Owing. It’s on line 42100. You can get to Forms mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the blue icon bar. Then click on the Federal icon. In the pop-up, select “Go To Page 4” and click OK. You should land near Step 7 on the T1 – you might need to scroll down a bit.

To get back to EasyStep mode, just click the EasyStep icon in the blue icon bar.

Thank you so much for answering my question so clearly and effectively.  Very much appreciated!