Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition fees (T2202) transfer to parent

Just completing 2020 (late!) Tax Return for son. Is there any way to transfer tuition to me (in 2021 for father). or do we have to just select forward so he can use it in future.

2 Replies

Yes, you can transfer the tuition fee from your son

Instructions for TurboTax Online

1. Select Find from the menu, then enter students into the search bar
  2. Select Students from the search results, then select Go. The Your Student Profile screen appears
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent, then select Continue. The Let’s get you some tax breaks for going to school! screen appears
  4. Select Done with Tuition Fees. Proceed through your return until the Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal) screen appears
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select Continue
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you'll be prompted to enter those amounts next

For more information, please see our TurboTax FAQ link as How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

Thank you for using TurboTax

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that will work. The T2202 in question is for year 2020. I did my (dad) return for 2020 already. I do not think I can recover this 2020 T2202 in 2021. I believe my best solution is is to just do my sons 2020 return naming me (dad) for transfer (in 2020). Then I simply re-file my return claiming the transferred T2202 tuition fees.