Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused Tuition Amount from Previous Year - modify Amount claim in 2019 field

I am using Turbo tax Standard 2019.  Why cant users be able to modify the field "Amount claimed in 2019" so that they can decide what amount they can claim? I have about 16000 federal and 6000 provincial unused tuition from previous years. I dont need to use my unused tuition amount from previous years because i am already getting a refund. It looks like Turbo tax is calculating an amount to use  

If I enter 0 for Unused tuition and education amounts from previous years, for both federal and provincial, would this cause any issues with CRA?

1 Reply

Unused Tuition Amount from Previous Year - modify Amount claim in 2019 field

If you have Tuition Carried Forward, you need to enter the entire amount on your tax return. TurboTax will then apply the amount needed to "reduce your tax payable to zero" and carry forward any remainder again.

CRA does not give you the option to carry forward tuition amounts if you "need" to use them. While you may already have a refund coming, and would like to "save" these amounts to use in the future, you cannot. :(

And even if you were not to add the carryforward amounts, CRA has them on record and would automatically apply them to the tax return as you have to claim this amount in the first year that you have to pay income tax.

CRA - Transfer or carry forward amount